British Embassy in Yemen condemned attack Procession of the Governor of Aden earlier Sunday.
“We condemn all acts of violence, especially those targeting civil servants,” the embassy wrote on its Twitter account.
She also added that “it is time to implement the Riyadh agreement”.
Shocking news of an attack on the governor’s convoy in Aden. Our thoughts are with the victims and their families. We condemn all acts of violence, in particular those against public officials. The people of Aden need security. It is time to implement the Riyadh Accord.
– British EmbassySanaa (@UKinYemen) 10 October 2021
Six people were killed earlier on Sunday when a car bomb targeted A convoy carrying officials to Aden, the interim capital of the Yemeni government, according to security sources, who explained that those responsible had survived the explosion.
A Yemeni security source told AFP that “a car bomb that was in the main line of Al-Mualla Street exploded as the convoy of officials, including Aden Governor Ahmed Lamlas, and the minister of Agriculture and Fisheries Salem Al-Saqari, “both members of the Southern Transitional Council, were passing by.
The source also reported the death of 5 escorts of personalities, and the injury of 11 people, including 3 civilians. An injured man later died of his injuries, bringing the death toll to 6.
It aims to “beat the cards”
For his part, through the Yemeni Minister of Information Muammar Al-Eryani On his conviction and his denunciation of the explosion. In tweets to his Twitter account, he said Sunday’s explosion, which coincided with the Houthi escalation in Ma’rib and Shabwa governorates, was intended to “muddy the waters and thwart government efforts to normalize the situation in the liberated areas ”.
Al-Eryani stressed the “need to continue the implementation of the security and military part of the Riyadh Agreement, and to unify efforts to strengthen security and stability and fight against terrorism and its organizations”.
For his part, the Yemeni Prime Minister, Maeen Abdul-Malik, ordered the competent authorities to carry out an urgent investigation into the circumstances of this assassination attempt.
From the targeting site of the Governor of Aden and the Yemeni Minister of Agriculture in Aden (AFP)
It should be noted that the Riyadh Agreement, which was signed in the Saudi capital Riyadh between the Yemeni government and the Southern Transition Council in 2019, provided for numerous military arrangements between the two parties, as well as a ceasefire and the appointment of a new governor and director of security for the port city of Aden, and the formation of a new government.
Saudi Arabia later presented a mechanism to speed up the implementation of the agreement, which also stipulated several points, including the continuation of the ceasefire and non-escalation between the two sides.